Sustainability in our daily operations is very important to us at VASEK. We realize and participate in several regional development projects which among other things aim to develop circular economy, sustainable traveling, and utilizing clean forms of energy. We are involved in coordinating the EnergyVaasa cluster, which operates in the Vaasa region and works actively to reduce emissions and for a greener future.
- Click here to read more about our development projects.
Together, we have decided to commit ourselves to following specific sub-objectives of the UN's global plan of action for sustainable development, Agenda 2030, in our everyday life and choices.
Selected sub-objectives: 12.2 and 12.5
12.2 By 2030, achieve the sustainable management and efficient use of natural resources.
12.5 By 2030, substantially reduce waste generation through prevention, reduction, recycling and reuse.
What do these mean to us?
- When making procurement, we carefully consider what we really need and how much. We also take the environmental impacts of our procurement into account. This applies also to giveaway products.
- We prefer sustainably produced and local products when it comes to giveaway products.
- In order to avoid unnecessary printed material, we carefully consider if digital material could be enough (brochures, publications, etc.).
- We only copy and print documents that are absolutely necessary.
- We improve the sorting station at our office so that it meets the latest requirements. We ask our landlord to take proper sorting into account.
- We recycle disused electronic equipment (computers, phones, etc.) properly.
- Our working culture favors partial remote working, which reduces emissions caused by driving. Our staff has the possibility to work remotely 40% of their working hours.
- We make bicycle commuting possible: we improve the changing room and shower space at our office, and we will investigate the possibilities of safe bicycle parking.
- We try to favor carpooling, whenever possible.
- We favor remote meetings whenever possible instead of traveling. If traveling is absolutely necessary, we favor the most environmentally friendly option if possible.
Selected sub-objectives: 5.5 an 10.2
5.5 Ensure women’s full and effective participation and equal opportunities for leadership at all levels of decision-making in political, economic and public life.
10.2 By 2030, empower and promote the social, economic and political inclusion of all, irrespective of age, sex, disability, race, ethnicity, origin, religion or economic or other status.
What do these mean to us?
- When forming working groups or other groups, we appoint both women and men to the groups. We appreciate that our partners try to do the same.
- We ask equally both women and men to speak at our events.
- When recruiting, qualifications are the primary selection criterion. Everyone at our work community is equal.
- In our communication, we use photos that represent different ethnicities and women and men of different ages.
- Our staff has an equal possibility to participate in training and self-development, regardless of gender or background.
- We actively improve the accessibility in our facilities.
Timeline for our sustainability work
Below you can see how we started off with our sustainability work.
- 8.7.2021 The page Sustainability is published.
- 28.6.2021 Working group meeting.
- 23.6.2021 Staff meeting. Refining the meanings of the selected sub-objectives.
- 16.6.2021 Working group meeting.
- 8.6.2021 Working group meeting. It was agreed how to proceed.
- 7.6.2021 Staff meeting. Discussion regarding the selected sub-objectives.
- 27.5.2021 Working group meeting. The sub-objectives 5.5, 10.2, 12.2 and 12.5 were suggested as our final choices.
- 17.5.2021 Staff meeting via Teams. The sub-objectives 4.3, 4.4, 5.5, 7.A, 10.2, 12.2 and 12.5 were selected for further consideration. The final choices will be selected out of these.
- 12.5.2021 Working group meeting.
- 16.4.2021 Working group meeting. The working group makes a rough division of the sub-objectives of the selected main objectives (4, 7, 10, 12 and 3).
- 9.4.2021 Staff meeting via Teams. Tomas Knuts from Jakobstad Region Development Company Concordia participates as a visiting expert and gives an introduction of the principles of sustainability work in an organization. We selected the main objectives 4, 7, 10, 12 and 3 as the most important for our organization, and out of these, we will select 3 to 4 main objectives as our actual main objectives.
- 23.3.2021 Working group meeting. Planning the next staff meeting.
- 15.3.2021 The accomplishments of the working group are presented to the whole staff via Teams. The staff was given homework – they were instructed to think about which things we as an organization should focus on in our sustainability work.
- 2.3.2021 and 5.3.2021 Working group meetings, starting the work.
- 19.2.2021 Göran Östberg presents the CERM roadmap to the board of VASEK. Stefan Råback also informs the board that VASEKs sustainability work has begun.
- 15.2.2021 The staff is informed of the matter in the weekly meeting. Terhi Teräväinen and Göran Östberg are also appointed to the working group.
- 12.2.2021 VASEKs sustainability work begins. Matias Båsk received the assignment to draw up VASEKs sustainability program together with a working group that will be appointed later.