Sustainability in our daily operations is very important to us at VASEK. We realise and participate in several regional development projects that aim to develop circular economy, sustainable traveling, and utilising clean forms of energy. We coordinate the EnergyVaasa cluster, which operates in the Vaasa region and works actively to reduce emissions and for a greener future.
- Click here to read VASEK's Sustainability Plan
- Click here to read more about our development projects.
Together, we have decided to follow specific subgoals of the UN's global plan of action for sustainable development, Agenda 2030, in our everyday life and choices.
Selected Subgoals: 12.2 and 12.5
12.2 By 2030, achieve the sustainable management and efficient use of natural resources.
12.5 By 2030, substantially reduce waste generation through prevention, reduction, recycling and reuse.
What Do These Mean for Us?
- When making procurement, we carefully consider what we need and how much. We also take the environmental impacts of our purchases into account. This also applies to giveaway products.
- We prefer sustainably produced, local products when it comes to giveaway products.
- In order to avoid unnecessary printed material, we carefully consider if digital material could be enough (brochures, publications, etc.).
- We only copy and print the necessary documents.
- We'll improve the waste and recycling station at our office to meet the latest requirements. We'll ask our landlord to take proper segregation into account.
- We recycle disused electronic equipment (computers, phones, etc.) properly.
- Our working culture favours partial remote working, which reduces emissions caused by driving. Our staff has the possibility to work at a distance.
- We'll make bicycle commuting possible by improving the changing room and shower space at our office and investigating the possibilities of safe bicycle parking.
- We prefer carpooling, whenever possible.
- If possible, we favour remote meetings and the most environmentally friendly travelling option.
Selected Subgoals: 5.5 and 10.2
5.5 Ensure women’s full and effective participation and equal opportunities for leadership at all levels of decision-making in political, economic and public life.
10.2 By 2030, empower and promote the social, economic and political inclusion of all, irrespective of age, sex, disability, race, ethnicity, origin, religion or economic or other status.
What Do These Mean for Us?
- When forming project or other groups, we appoint both women and men. We appreciate that our partners aim to do the same.
- Experts are treated equally when requested to speak at our events.
- When recruiting, qualifications are the primary selection criterion. Everyone in our work community is equal.
- We use photos that represent different ethnicities and people of different ages in our communication.
- Our staff has equal opportunities to participate in training and self-development, regardless of their gender or background.
- We actively improve the accessibility to our facilities.
Timeline for Our Sustainability Work
Below you can see how we started off with our sustainability work.
- 6.5.2022 The project group decided to hold weekly meetings and share info on sustainability on regular basis during the staff meetings.
- 25.4.2022 Going through our sustainability work with the whole staff.
- 22.4.2022 Project group meeting.
- 5.4.2022 Project group meeting.
- 25.2.2022 Project group meeting.
- 14.12.2021 The sustainability plan is confirmed in the meeting of VASEK's board of directors.
- 29.11.2021 Presenting the sustainability plan to the staff.
- 19.11.2021 Project group meeting.
- 15.11.2021 Presenting the draft of the sustainability plan to the whole staff.
- 3.11.2021 Project group meeting.
- 20.10.2021 Project group meeting.
- 31.8.2021 Project group meeting.
- 8.7.2021 The Sustainability page is published.
- 28.6.2021 Project group meeting.
- 23.6.2021 Staff meeting. Refining the meanings of the selected sub-objectives.
- 16.6.2021 Project group meeting.
- 8.6.2021 Project group meeting. It was agreed how to proceed.
- 7.6.2021 Staff meeting. Discussion regarding the selected sub-objectives.
- 27.5.2021 Project group meeting. The sub-objectives 5.5, 10.2, 12.2 and 12.5 were suggested as our final choices.
- 17.5.2021 Staff meeting via Teams. The sub-objectives 4.3, 4.4, 5.5, 7.A, 10.2, 12.2 and 12.5 were selected for further consideration. The final choices will be selected out of these.
- 12.5.2021 Project group meeting.
- 16.4.2021 Project group meeting. The group makes a rough division of the sub-objectives of the selected main objectives (4, 7, 10, 12 and 3).
- 9.4.2021 Staff meeting via Teams. Tomas Knuts from Jakobstad Region Development Company Concordia participates as a visiting expert and gives an introduction of the principles of sustainability work in an organization. We selected the main objectives 4, 7, 10, 12 and 3 as the most important for our organization, and out of these, we will select 3 to 4 main objectives as our actual main objectives.
- 23.3.2021 Project group meeting. Planning the next staff meeting.
- 15.3.2021 The accomplishments of the project group are presented to the whole staff via Teams. The staff was given homework – they were instructed to think about which things we as an organization should focus on in our sustainability work.
- 2.3.2021 and 5.3.2021 Project group meetings, starting the work.
- 19.2.2021 Göran Östberg presents the CERM roadmap to the board of VASEK. Stefan Råback also informs the board that VASEKs sustainability work has begun.
- 15.2.2021 The staff is informed of the matter in the weekly meeting. Terhi Teräväinen and Göran Östberg are also appointed to the project group.
- 12.2.2021 VASEKs sustainability work begins. Matias Båsk received the assignment to draw up VASEKs sustainability program together with a project group that will be appointed later.